Sunday, April 28, 2013

Strength Training

So, this week I started a new strength training workout at a place nearby called Private Workout.  I completed my orientation and 2 additional workouts this week.  The workout is basically a 25 minute circuit.  You do each machine for 130 seconds.  That doesn't seem like a long time, until you're having to do 40 crunches!  You do one quick set of 16 at a low weight, then a heavy set of 6, then back to the lighter weight until the time is up and you are sent to the next machine.

I figure I can do most anything for 130 seconds, so even my least favorite parts (the crunches) pass quickly!

I love that the entire program is scripted out for me.  I don't have to worry with how heavy things are suppose to be or how may reps I should be doing.  I have a personal workout log that tells me EXACTLY what to do each week.  After each workout I write down my successful number of reps, do a little math, and it tells me what to do for my next workout.

Based on my current weight and body fat analysis during my orientation.  The trainer has set a goal weight for me of 175lbs (which is 25 more than what I had orginally had in mind).  The idea is that I need to lose 100 lbs of fat, but gain 25 lbs of muscle.  That seems quite reasonable.  I like the idea that I will be gaining muscle instead of losing it, like so many do as they are dieting to lose weight.  I understand that in the long run increased muscle will help my body burn more calories at rest, improving my metabolism.  I'm excited to have a program designed to help me reach this goal.

After only 3 workouts, I haven't noticed much change in my body.  However, I have had increasing success with the number of reps I am able to complete at each station, which seems like an improvement.  I have experience a little muscle soreness, but nothing extreme.  I hope to do the workout 3-4 times per week in addition to 2-3 times of cardio or walking.  

I'm excited to see how things change over the coming months with this new workout!

 -26.4lbs 
(and wearing a dress from the back of the closet!)


No comments:

Post a Comment